It is only fit and proper that a game changing project like Nelson Cove should set aside approximately 83 ha’s of land in a very prominent location for the eventual establishment of a major regional sporting complex to service the whole City of Geelong.
This complex could easily accommodate:
- an AFL standard stadium and three further ovals for cricket and AFL football;
- a multi purpose stadium suitable for soccer and rugby surrounded by four other rugby and four other soccer fields;
- an athletics stadium;
- a tennis complex with dozens of courts;
- at least four hockey fields; and
- informal active recreational spaces for unstructured sports activity.
Our plan would be to form a suitable foundation for those types of future activity and then hand the entire precinct to the Geelong City Council for it to manage on behalf of the whole Geelong community. Such a complex in such a central location would be the envy of most cities around Australia.