Geelong is already a stunning bayside city with many natural attractions for business, residents and tourists. To add to the mix, we propose, as a centrepiece of the Nelson Cove project, a world class, beachfront, fully integrated entertainment precinct aimed squarely at putting Geelong on the international tourism map. This central feature of the entire project should capture nation-wide attention and international interest. It could well include:
- a tram stop with a line connecting this precinct directly to the CBD;
- 6 star hotels and other short stay alternatives;
- a ferry terminal to Melbourne integrated within a second private new marina;
- a waterfront “Guggenheim” or “MONA” style arts complex;
- a wide range of wharf style boutique restaurants, cafes’ and high end retailers; and
- a heliport with direct links to the airports at Avalon and Tullamarine as well as the Melbourne CBD.